Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tin Tiles- Flea Market Find Rehab

I bought these at the local flea market. They were muddy and had lead based paint. My first step was to wash them with an S.O.S pad. It took care of some of the paint and almost all the mud. I then used a paint scraper to do the rest. This task was a bit of a pain and took a long time but was worth it. Make sure if you do this to take care around the edges so you don't cut yourself. The tiles are thin and when they are taken out they are sometimes jagged and bent. I washed the tiles again and let them dry for a day. I talked to my local paint guru, who recommended I used a latex paint. It took about two coats , I let them dry in between for a day. I decided to make the holes on the edges bigger (when they put the tiles up they used nails which left holes in sides. I used an ice pick to to enlarge the holes. This allowed me to string ribbon through the holes to hang the tiles off a hook. I tied the the ribbon in a small knot, on the back side, to keep it from coming out. This project took me several months because I was waiting for right ribbon and debating on framing the tiles. It was good that I took my time finishing it. Taking my time allowed me to examine my options and play with what I wanted to do. I ultimately decided to use the ribbon so that if I change my mind and decided to frame the tiles I still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment