Friday, April 8, 2011

The Remote Situation

What if we calculated the average amount of time we spend looking for the remote. How much would it total? What about the most common hiding places? For my home it’s the couch cushions and under the bed.  I have seen several unique approaches to find the remotes in your life. I think my favorite has been placing an electronic key finder on it. That’s a nice one except you have to know where to find the remote for key finder and if the TV volume is blasting you can’t hear it beeping.  Here I have listed several ways to never lose your remotes again.
Velcro
One of my friends in college introduced me to the “Velcro it” method. I liked this because on my way out the room all I had to do was stick it to the side of the TV. I also went a step further and placed a Velcro spot for the remote by the side of the bed. This stopped the remote from falling down in-between the wall, and saving me the annoying task of digging it out every time.
Caddy Shack
                My mother’s favorite method is storing the remotes in a caddy on the end table. I wasn’t big on this but liked the idea of contained storage and designated location for remotes. I decided to think out of the box (literally) I found a large candle holder. I chose scrapbook paper that matched my room colors and cut it to fit inside the candle holder, so you can’t see the remotes. It sits beside my bed and easy access and storage when I’m done with the TV
Box for the Box
                I have also seen people use a decorative storage box, where they not only stored their remotes but a list of their TV channels, and the product information for all their TV accessories. I like this because it places all the information and needs in one central location, while giving the living room a glamorous feel.
Place it There Every Time
                For some this works, but the more people you have in a house hold the harder this becomes. We tried this one but gave up. I would recommend this for extremely organized people who live in small numbered households. You might want to back it up with the beeper thing, and when all else fails check the refrigerator; you’d be surprised, especially if you have adolescent males.
There’s an App For That
                Permanently bench the remote. Download the remote app that turns your phone into the remote for your TV. It also places the control of the remote in your hands making you the Queen. Make sure to download the” find my phone” app so that when you lose that you can locate it. I find to be too much work but if you’re big Techy, it works.
The Old Ball and Chain
                If you get really desperate you can always do what the banks do to keep people from steeling pins. Chain it to the end table.
These are just some Ideas If you have your own please feel free to share.

1 comment:

  1. The "Velcro it" method worked for me in college but seems a little tacky now that I have a nicer TV and TV stand. I like your other suggestions!

    ReplyDelete