Monday, April 18, 2011

Diamond Solutions-Organizing Jewelry

I love jewelry it’s a large weakness of mine.  Problem is I have so much I forget what I own and what my options are.  Jewelry is one of those fun accessories to organize. Locate that missing earring, rescue tangled or broken necklaces. Reclaim tarnished treasures and rediscover a long lost favorite piece.
To untangle jewelry try using a needle and tweezers. Slide the needle through the not use the tweezers to wedge into the knot as well. Work gently and pull on the chain until you have enough space to slip your fingers in the chain and finish untangling it.
Place anything that looks tarnish in the jewelry cleaner, you can buy this at almost any super store. Once done use the sliver/ gold clothe to finish cleaning.
Place any jewelry that you need repaired into a plastic bag to be dropped off. It is easy to replace broken catches or lobster claws. Most craft stores sell jewelry catches. All you need is jump rings and pliers. If you are unable of fixing it, call your jewelry making friend they might be able to lend you a hand. Keep another bag for anything you decide to get rid of. Consider selling it to cash for cold if it is of value look into what they accept it’s not just gold and silver. You can use the money to invest in new pieces or an organizing system.
Recently I noticed that the miniature wire dress mannequin have grown in popularity. Last year I decided to capitalize on the opportunity and I bought one. I decided to have this decoration do double duty and turned it into an earring stand. Having the earrings out reminds me of different pieces I own that I can pear with necklaces to wear. This saves me valuable drawer space. This is not the only option you have. When choosing jewelry stands or displays make sure it’s something you won’t have to turn, and that it’s   easy to reach the back. Look for something with a wide base. I had a stand before that toppled over easily because the base was too small and it toppled over easily. Make sure if it has hooks or places to put your earrings it’s easy to use and things won’t become tangled. Also before you buy asses the size and amount of the jewelry you plan to put on there, you don’t want it to topple over for weight.
I bought several fabric colored divide drawer organizers. These came in handy when organizing my jewelry and they fit perfectly in my drawers. I can easily lift them out in layers and see everything I own with digging and tangling my jewelry. Make sure if you decide to try these you measure your drawer space height, length and width to make sure the ones you buy work. I bought these at TJ- Max, Marshall's and Home Goods. Play with how you organize the jewelry, try different combinations. Also if you don’t want to designate an entire drawer to jewelry make sure to measure the space you plan to give. Instead of buying dividing boxes you can use old boxes from around the house to get the same affect.
If you don’t want to use drawer space there are other options. I recycled an old wooden cigar box and turned it into a jewelry box. I also have an old tea box that had dividers I decided to use.
Small jewelry boxes are fun. I have three that I collected from family vacations and trips that I took. It’s nice because they provide sentimental value while holding jewelry that I love. They also do a great job of decorating my dresser top. Just be careful not to overdo it with these. It’s easy to forget what you put where and could find yourself going through a few before you find what you’re looking for.
I have entertained the idea of a jewelry stand but currently do not have the space, so this particular stand fits my needs. I plant to place it on top of the jewelry stand when I buy it. Don’t be afraid to be creative. I have a friend who rescued a folding shutter and painted it she added some small hooks in which to hang necklaces and bracelets. For the earrings she uses the wire ones over the side of the shutter. She removed some of the shutters and added a cork board with a small bin for the earrings with a stud. She places the backs in the small bin. Everyone is different and different things work for different people.

No comments:

Post a Comment