Saturday, April 16, 2011

Boxed Out

Rewind six years ago, I was converting my room into a Hawaiian paradise. I found boxes 3 cardboard boxes that fit perfectly on clearance for 25 cents apiece. Now, in my conversion to a more sophisticated color palette, I found my barging boxes clashing with my new style. However, I didn’t want to lose my prime storage space. I decided to make them over with just a little paint, some wrapping paper, and Modge Podge. Total cost 8 dollars for brown paint, everything else I had on hand.
It just goes to show items can be made over to work for you  and your needs. You are also not limited to just the types of boxes in the picture. Pardon the pun but think outside the box. Its a great way to use up that left over paint or wrapping paper.
1.       Start with coating the boxes with 3 layers of paint. Let dry in between coats.
2.       Measure the box bottoms and Lid; Length x Width, Length x height, Width x height. You need two of each for both the lid and box.
3.       I used wrapping paper that had 1 inch grid lines marked on it which made things easier. It was also something I had around the house so I didn’t have to pay extra. When you measure on the paper make sure you have two of each.
4.       Check to make sure each piece fits, by laying it in the box and using your nail to create folds for paper that is too big. I tried to make it so that the edges over lapped to the bottom, this way when I laid the last piece the bottom in there were no gaps in the paper.
5.       Modge podge the box then add the shortest side corner pieces in first. I started with attaching them to the outer edge of the box then rolling them to the inside and then applying more Modge Podge over to seal it. I then moved to the longer side piece. (Try folding the pieces in half. (hotdog style) To accomplish this then smoothing them from outside to the inside of the box to achieve this.)
6.       Place the biggest piece in last go slow, and seal with a layer of Modge Podge on top. It should dry in about 2 hours.
7.        Come back and add paint touch ups to the edges and outside of the box where needed, let dry 2 hours later.
8.       Add Modge Podge to the outside, of the box let dry and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment